Sweet corn is a starchy vegetable that doubles as a functional food. Starchy means it is high in carbohydrate content. Functional means it contains multiple nutrients that can bring benefits to the body. When it comes to the diet, sweet corn works well as a side dish, or an ingredient in soups, salads or casseroles. By combining it with other foods, you can boost the nutrient content even more.
This American Sweet Corn Salad offers a perfect blend of sweet and tangy flavors, juicy and crunchy textures, in one delightful bowlful. This salad is best enjoyed cold, so prepare it a little ahead of meal-time and pop it into the fridge.
Try out this simple recipe and do share your feedback 🙂
Preparation Time – 20 mins
Serves – 4
1 cup sweet corn kernels
2 tomatoes, medium- sized, deseeded, finely chopped
1 green capsicum, medium-sized, deseeded, finely chopped,
7-8 black olives, finely chopped
1 cucumber, medium-sized, peeled, finely chopped
50 grams iceberg lettuce, shredded into small pieces (optional)
¼ cup mint leaves, fresh, shredded into small pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
2-3 springs coriander leaves, fresh, finely chopped
Black pepper powder – to taste
Salt – to taste
How to go about it –
- Cook the corn. (See notes).
- In a bowl, add corn, tomatoes, capsicums, olives, cucumbers, lettuce and mint leaves.
- In a separate bowl, mix juice of lemon with olive oil, black pepper powder and salt to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. Serve garnished with coriander leaves.
- If using sweet corn kernels, boil with 2 cups of water. Cook for 3-4 minutes and drain. Allow it to cool.
- Boil or grill the corn hob for 5- 10 minutes. For added flavor you can add butter or ghee. Use knife to remove the kernels.
- Here in the recipe I have used frozen corn kernels. Boiled and cooled.
- Iceberg lettuce is optional.