Holi is around the corner, and we all know that there is more to this vibrant festival than colors! From getting together with family, friends and preparing sweets and snacks this festival has many dimensions to it.
Add more cheer to this feisty occasion by preparing this delectable sweet puff (Chandrakala) filled with nuts and milk solids (mawa) to enjoy with your family and share with your friends.
Lets move on to the recipe –
Preparation Time – 20 minutes
Cooking Time – 40 minutes
Serves – 8
For Making Dough
1.5 cup – All Purpose Flour (Maida)
4 teaspoon – Clarified Butter (Ghee)
Water – to make dough
For Making Filling-
1 cup – Khoya / Mawa
1 tablespoon – Dessicated Coconut
3 teaspoon – Castor Sugar
4-5 teaspoon – Mixed Nuts (chopped)
1/2 teaspoon – Cardamom Powder
1 cup – Ghee (for frying)
For Making Sugar Syrup-
1.5 cup – Sugar
1 cup – Water
Few strands of Saffron
How to go about it
- In a large bowl, add all purpose flour, clarified butter and mix well. Add water to form a soft dough.
- Cover the dough with cloth and keep aside to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- For making sugar syrup – In a pan , add sugar and water, boil on a medium heat .
- Once it starts boiling, add saffron & cardamom powder, give it a mix and boil to make a 2 string consistency sugar syrup.
- In a pan, roast khoya or mawa on a low flame till it becomes soft and golden.
- Now add the desiccated coconut and chopped nuts. Roast for few minutes. Mix well and remove from the flame.
- Transfer the khoya mixture in a bowl.
- Make small balls from the prepared dough and make poris.
- Place the stuffing in the centre and cover it with another pori. Seal the edges by applying water or milk in the edges of both the poris.
- Fold the sides to make a swirl pattern or you can also seal the sides by using fork.
- In a deep pan, heat ghee and on medium heat deep fry these chandrakala till it turns golden in color.
- Remove them on a paper napkin and carefully with a toothpick or fork make a hole in centre.
- Transfer them in the sugar syrup for say 5 minutes and take them on plate.
- Garnish with pistachios or chopped nuts of your choice, saffron strands or may be silver work.
- Serve when it is warm.
- While making dough add water little by little.
- Make medium thick poris for making chandrakala.
- Seal the edges properly so that the stuffing don’t come out while frying.
- You can use oil also for deep frying but I prefer using ghee.
Wishing you all Happy Holi !!
Never miss a recipe . If you like being here do subscribe to my blog.
If you like this recipe do make it and let me know your feedback in comments below.