Usually we have a north Indian breakfast like poha, upma, theplas etc every morning but when I have to make idlis or dosas it should definitely have coconut chutney ….Here is an easy peasy chutney recipe that goes well with soft idlis and crisp dosas and vadas.It contains gram dal, fresh coriander and small amount of curd too (if you don’t have curd you can add fresh lemon juice).
- ½ cup groundnut (roasted)
- 4 tablespoons gram dal
- ¼ cup grated coconut
- 2 green chillies
- ¼ cup curd or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh coriander
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 dry red chilli
How to go about it –
- Dry roast the peanuts on the low flame till light brown, remove from the flame and cool. Once cool remove the skin from peanuts.
- In a blender add roasted peanut, gram dal, grated coconut, finely chopped coriander, chopped green chillies, curd and salt to taste.
- In a tadka pan heat oil, add mustard seeds, allow it to crackle. Add curry leaves and red chilli. Remove from the flame and pour the tempering over the chutney .Give a quick mix.
- Serve it with soft idlis, crisp dosa and vadas.
- You can add lemon juice instead of curd.
- Can skip adding coconut.
- Can skip removing peanut skin, it will only change the color.
- Always store in fridge and ideally it should be consumed same day.