Soups are the great way to get in your veggies and they also serve as a wholesome meal. Pair it with some multigrain bread or Pita and you are good to go for a light lunch or you can also serve this as a starter in your dinner.
Packed with full of essential vitamins and nutrients this simple soup is a perfect way to get your greens.I don’t have to get convinced to use spinach or palak in my everyday cooking as I am in love with its taste. At times I use this as a puree to form a dough for palak rotis, paratha or pori, and sometimes add it to my dal to add some greens.
When you will make this soup, you will notice it has got a bright green color. It is because half of the spinach is reserved and mixed into the soup after cooking it. This also helps to retain the nutrients found in the spinach.
So lets move on to the recipe to make this creamy spinach soup.
Preparation Time – 10 Minutes
Cooking Time – 30 Minutes
Serves – 2
2 Teaspoon – Olive Oil
2 Cloves – Garlic
1/2 Cup – Onions, finely chopped
1 Medium – Potato, peeled and cubed
2 Cups – Vegetable Stock
2 Cups – Milk, low fat
2 1/2 Cups – Spinach, roughly chopped
Salt & Black Pepper – To taste
Low Fat Cream – To garnish (optional)
How to go about it-
- Thoroughly wash spinach under running water to remove all dirt. Remove excess water and finely chop. If the stalks are not too big, add the stalks too.
- In a large pan, heat oil.
- Saute garlic, onion and potato for 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable stalk and low fat milk. Bring it to boil. Cover it and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in half the spinach, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Allow it to cool for 5 minutes and transfer the soup in the blender to form a smooth puree. Work in two batches if necessary.
- Add the remaining batch and blend until smooth.
- Return to the pan and reheat. Taste and season with salt, and black pepper.
- Ladle the soup into the bowls and serve hot.
- You can swirl some low fat cream to garnish before serving.(optional)
- The secret of a fresh-flavoured, bright green soup is to cook half the spinach briefly in the soup for depth of flavour, then add the remaining raw spinach when liquidising.
- You can add a dash of freshly ground nutmeg to season it.
- Serving Suggestion- Spinach soup is versatile it makes a warm and inviting soup for winters and can be served as a whole meal with breads or as a light evening snack.
If you happen to try this soup let me know how it turned out for you and share your pictures on Instagram or Facebook page @ Paarulzkitchen.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!