No Christmas is complete without a traditional fruit cake !
Christmas is that time of the year which reminds of baking cookies and cakes with mom, decorating Christmas tree with sister and going to church in the morning and not to forget writing letters to Santa Now when we are in different cities we miss those beautiful moments and fun we shared together. Just to relive those days I decorate Christmas tree and Bake cakes.
Traditionally alcohol is used to make plum cakes but orange /grape or cranberry juice works just well.Flavored with warm spices this cake is a perfect blend of fruits and nuts which creates a unique Christmas aroma you will never forget.
Try this easy Christmas cake that turns out perfect every time. Wishing you all Merry Christmas and prosperous New Year.
Preparation Time – 2 hours
Bake Time – 40 mins
Serving – 7-8 persons
1/4 cup – cranberries, finely chopped
1/4 cup – black raisins
1/4 cup – figs, finely chopped
7-8 pitted dates, finely chopped
1 cup grape juice or orange juice
For cake batter-
1 cup – whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cup – all purpose flour
1 cup – brown sugar
1 cup – any unflavored oil
1 cup – milk
1.5 teaspoon – cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon – baking soda
1 teaspoon – baking powder
1/2 teaspoon- orange zest
1 teaspoon- vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon – cardamom powder
1/4 teaspoon – nutmeg powder
1/2 teaspoon- cinnamon powder
Few almond , finely chopped
How to go about it –
For soaking –
- In a glass bowl soak finely chopped cranberries, figs, dates and raisins in grape juice for 2 hours. Cover it and keep aside.
For making cake batter-
- Prepare a round cake pan or a loaf pan – grease it with oil and line with butter paper.
- Pre heat your oven to 180 degree celsius.
- In a large mixing bowl sieve all the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder and spices.
- Add orange zest.
- Add the soaked dry fruits along with grape juice.
- Now add, brown sugar, oil and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- In a separate glass, take milk and to it add cider vinegar and mix well.Add baking soda to this and stir well.
- Add this mixture to batter and stir quickly to make smooth cake batter.
- Pour the cake batter in the pan.
- Transfer the pan in oven and bake at 180 degree celsius for 40 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely and serve .
- You can also use cranberry or orange juice to soak the fruits and nuts.
- If brown sugar is not available you can use normal sugar though brown sugar gives dark color to your cake.
- Can replace oil with butter
- You can add nuts and fruits of your choice.
- If the cake quickly turns brown while you bake cover it with parchment paper.
- Cover the cake with cling foil and store in air tight container.
- Moreover keep an eye while baking cake as each oven works differently.
Try out this vegan recipe this Christmas and do share your feedback in comments or you can also share your bakes in Paarulz Kitchen on Facebook , Instagram.
Once again wishing you all Merry Christmas. May all your wishes come true.