During my recent visit to vegetable market bought raw papaya to make koftas . Also wanted to make Tutti frutti which is a combination of candied fruits with raw papaya .Here I have used edible colors and saffron to make it colorful .
I love tutti frutti as it is, one of my all time favorite to munch.. I use these cute jewels to adorn my cakes , biscuits , muffins and ice cream. Made these again to soak for my fruit cakes along with dates and nuts.
Here is the simple recipe to make tutti frutti or candied papaya at home.
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 2 hours
Serve – 2 cups
1 raw papaya (medium size), clean and finely chopped
2 cups sugar
¼ teaspoon saffron
Few drops of liquid colors (any color of your choice)
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
3 cups water
How to go about it –
- Wash and peel papaya, remove the seeds along with the white part and chop it into fine cubes. This yield 2 cups of papaya cubes. Keep aside.
- Take a saucepan, heat 3 cups of water. Once it starts boiling at these chopped papaya cubes and allow it to cook for exactly 3 minutes on the low flame. Switch off the flame and let the cubes remain in the same water for another 5 minutes.
- Strain the blanched papaya and keep aside.
- Dissolve sugar in 3 cups of water and stir on medium heat until sugar dissolves completely.
- Add blanched raw papaya cubes to the sugar syrup and cook on medium heat for 15 – 20 minutes until sugar syrup becomes thick and papaya cubes are cooked.
- Switch off the flame and add ½ teaspoon of vanilla syrup and mix well.
- Divide these cubes in different bowls for different colors along with the sugar syrup.
- Now for coloring add saffron for natural color, add 1 drop of any color depending on your choice to these bowls and mix well.
- Let these papaya cubes absorb the sugar syrup and color, allow them to sit for 12-14 hours. Cover and keep aside.
- After the soaking time, take out the papaya cubes from the sugar syrup and strain them properly.
- Transfer them on wire net placing it on the plate. Let them dry till the stickiness is totally absorbed.
- Store this in the air tight container until you are ready to use it.
- Adding colors is optional. For natural colors use saffron, beetroot juice. Here I have used liquid color and saffron.
- You can replace sugar with honey, process remains the same.
- Store the container in the fridge for longer shelf life.
- Soaking time and drying time may vary depending on the temperature and humidity.
- You can adjust the sugar according to the sweetness you desire.
- Do not overcook the papaya, else they become very soft and don’t retain the crunchiness as required.
So what are you waiting for ? Make these beauties and use in your Christmas cakes or fruit cakes.
Do share your trials @ paarulzkitchen on Facebook or you can tag me @ paarulzkitchen @ Instagram .
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!