Midnight Baking !! Yes 🙂 There is just something about the science of baking its completely therapeutic, so when I cant sleep I bake or you can say I don’t sleep coz I want to bake !!
Recently made this whole wheat semolina bread .It is such a beautiful loaf in so many ways but also very delicious and moist.This is a big keeper recipe for me and I remain intrigued by the nutty, sweet flavor of semolina.If you are looking for a very tender and flavorful sandwich loaf this is a great choice.
Here is the recipe to bake your own bread –
Preparation Time – 20 minutes
Cooking Time – 35 minutes
Passive Time – 1 – 1.5 hours
Serve – 1 loaf
2 cups + 2 table spoon – Semolina (fine quality)
3/4 cup – Wheat flour
1 teaspoon – Salt
2 tablespoon – Olive oil
1 teaspoon – Active instant yeast
1 tablespoon – Granulated sugar
1 1/4 cup – Water (lukewarm)
1/2 teaspoon – Sesame seeds
How to go about it –
- In a bowl, take lukewarm water and mix granulated sugar and instant active dry yeast. Keep aside until the mixture becomes frothy.
- In another mixing bowl, add semolina , wheat flour , salt , olive oil and mix.
- Now in dry ingredients, add yeast mixture , mix well. Cover the mixture and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Dump the dough on slightly dusted surface and start kneading it by pressing it and stretching it with the heel of your palm. Repeat this until the dough becomes smooth. This will take 10 minutes. Dust the counter with flour or grease your palm with olive oil if the dough is too sticky.
- Once the dough is ready keep it in a greased bowl, cover it with cling foil or cloth.Allow the dough to rise. This will take 35-40 minutes depending upon the climatic conditions.
- Slightly punch the proofed dough and knead it again for 2-3 minutes and give the loaf shape.
- Transfer the loaf in a greased tin with the sealed side facing downward. Brush it with milk and sprinkle sesame seeds.
- Cover the dough and let it rise again for about 35- 40 minutes, this time depends on climatic conditions. Mine was done in 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pre heat your oven to 200 degree celsius , temperature may vary to bake your bread depending upon your oven.
- Bake the bread in pre-heated oven at 200 degree celsius for 35 minutes or till the tooth pick comes out clean.
- Once it is baked, allow it to cool for 5 minutes, gently loose the edges and de-mould it.
- Transfer it to the cooling rack, and brush with butter or olive oil. Allow it to cool completely.
- Slice the bread with the serrated knife and enjoy with jam or butter or make some scrumptious sandwiches.
- Store in fridge in air tight containers.
- Semolina should be very fine , in case fine semolina is not available coarsely grind before use.
- Kneading the dough can get tricky, as this dough is sticky. Dusting the counter with flour or greasing your palm will ease the process.
- Butter or regular oil can be used in place of olive oil.
- If instant yeast is not available use active dry yeast.
Its easy to bake your own bread , follow the recipe and enjoy the slice of bread or make scrumptious sandwiches for your breakfast. If you like the recipe, do share your feedback in comments below or you can also tag me in my Facebook page or Instagram.