Hi Friends, Its my pleasure to introduce our guest Aruna, a technologist and entrepreneur by profession and an amazing blogger by passion. She has some of the best authentic and vegetarian recipes in her blog aahaaram. Its a space where you can get vegetarian recipes across the world. Today Aruna is here share one of her tiffin recipes with us. Without taking time over to Aruna;
One of my favourite tiffin items is Kuzhi Paniyaram, a healthy bite-sized snack made in Tamil Nadu with idli batter. This snack can be made in a jiffy and you can load them with vegetables to make them healthier.
Made in an Appam Pan (Aebleskiver Pan), Kuzhi Paniyaram need very little oil and that makes them light on the stomach. I normally serve Kuzhi Paniyaram with a spicy accompaniment like the Coconut-Garlic Chutney.
Makes: 12 to 16 Kuzhi Paniyaram
Time: 15 minutes per batch
Equipment: Appam Pan | Paniyaram Pan | Aebleskiver Pan
- Idli Batter – 1 Cup
- Finely Chopped Onion – ½ Cup
- Finely Chopped Green Chillies – 1 tbsp
- Curry Leaves (Torn to Small Pieces) – 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida, Hing – 1 Generous Pinch
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt to Taste
- Oil, As Required
Method to Make the Kuzhi Paniyaram:
- In a kadhai, heat about 1 tsp of oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till they crackle.
- Add the onion and stir-fry till transparent.
- Mix the idli batter, sautéed onions, curry leaves, green chillies, asafoetida, and salt.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat the appam pan and add a few drops of oil to each cavity.
- When the appam pan is warm, spoon some batter into each cavity. Fill each cavity only upto ¾ of its capacity, otherwise you will not be able to flip them easily.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover and use a sharp, think knife to loosen the edges of each Kuzhi Paniyaram and flip it over. Before flipping, check if the side touching the pan is light golden brown and has a nice crust.
- Drizzle a few drops of oil around the edges of each cavity, if required. I don’t find this necessary.
- Let the flip side cook as well and then remove the Kuzhi Paniyaram from the pan.
- Serve immediately with Coconut Chutney.
- You can add vegetables like grated carrots and peas to the batter to up the health quotient of the Kuzhi Paniyaram.
Check Aruna’s blog here – http://aahaaramonline.com
To read more food stories, gourmet travelogue, and exotic recipes ,subscribe us via email and follow us at Face book, instagram and twitter – http://www.paarulzkitchen.com
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!