If you have a sweet tooth and crave for desserts after a meal, here’s a quick simple Lauki ka halwa or doodhi halwa recipe.It is a famous Indian dessert prepared by using bottle gourd .Enrich this simple dessert by adding generous amount of nuts along with condensed milk .A pinch of cardamom powder further enhances the taste of this appealing halwa .Lets start new year with simple yet scrumptious dessert.
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 25-30 minutes
Serve – 3 servings
2 cups – grated lauki / bottle gourd
2 tablespoon – ghee
4 tablespoon – condensed milk (Amul condensed milk)
1 1/2 cup – full fat milk
2 teaspoon – sugar
Generous amount – grated nuts (almonds, cashew , pistachios)
1 teaspoon- cardamom powder
How to go about it –
- Wash the lauki, peel and grate it leaving the centre part and seeds.You can use food processor if making in large quantity.
- Heat ghee in the pan ,once hot add grated lauki, saute it.
- Cook till the moisture from the grated lauki is evaporated by stirring continuously. Lauki will become soft and will reduce.This process will take 7-8 minutes.
- Now add milk and condensed milk; mix well and bring the mixture to boil.
- Cook the mixture stirring occasionally until the milk is absorbed, this will take 10-12 minutes.
- Add sugar and grated nuts.Cook well ,stirring continuously to avoid sticking till the moisture is evaporated, this takes another 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and add cardamom powder, mix well.
- Lip smacking lauki halwa is ready to serve. Serve it hot.
- Do stir in between and scape the sides and bottom of the pan to avoid sticking and burning of milk solids.
- When there is no bubbles in the mixture it means the moisture is evaporated and halwa is ready to serve.
- You can replace condensed milk with 3 tablespoon of khowa and increase the amount of sugar .