One of the most popular and often made rice recipe from south india. Its as elegant as you want it to be and kept as simple as the need arises. This easy recipe pleasantly proves you can dress up regular rice with a few simple additions.
1 cup rice
salt to taste
For the seasoning-
3 teaspoon oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon urad dal (split ones)
1 teaspoon channa dal
1 red chilli and pinch of asafoetida
¼ teaspoon turmeric Powder
10- 15 curry leaves
1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
How to go about it:
- Cook rice in such a way that each grains are separate. Spread it on a plate, mix a teaspoon of oil to it, so that the grains will not stick together.
- Fry groundnuts in 1/2 tsp oil until golden brown and keep it aside.
For Seasoning –
- Heat oil, add mustard seeds, when mustard splutters, add urad dal, channa dal, red chillies and asafoetida. When dal turns slightly brown, add ginger, turmeric powder, curry leaves and keep it aside.
- Squeeze lemon juice in a small bowl, add salt to it. Mix well and add it to the rice.
- Now add the seasoning (prepared in step -3) and groundnut to the rice and mix well.
- Serve with papads or chips, curd or roasted potatoes.
- Do not cook after adding the lemon juice.
- Make sure your rice is not mushy and the grains are separate.
- You can use ghee in place of oil for seasoning. The lemon rice will turn even more delicious!