Mango Curry Rice by Priya Jain for #pkmangomagic recipe contest.
Mango curry rice is a tangy sweet spicy rice dish prepared in the ongoing mango season. It has all the flavours of India from kashmir to Andhra. It is easy to prepare and loved by all.
PREPARATION TIME :_30minutes
COOKING TIME :_ 30minutes
BASMATI RICE-1 cup
Mango puree- 1/2 cup
Fresh coconut grated-1/2 cup
Split urad daal white- 3tbsp
Black mustard seed- 1tsp
Curry leaves – 5 to 6
Tamarind paste – 1tbsp
White salt- 1tsp
Black salt- 1tsp
Kashmiri mirch powder – 1tsp
Ghee – 1tbsp
Garnishing: coriander leaves, dice of mango, coconut and cucumber
- Soak rice, urad daal for half an hour.
- Boil the rice, be careful don’t overcook, it should not be mushy.
- Drain off the excess water. Spread the rice in a platter to cool down.
- In pan roast the mustard seeds dry, once they start popping put ghee.
- When ghee heats up and mustard seeds fry a bit , add urad daal.
- When urad daal turns slightly brown in colour add the mango puree, tamarind paste, black salt, white salt, kashmiri mirch powder, jaggery (you can add sugar also instead of jaggery).
- Add grated coconut and Cook for a minute then gently add boiled rice and mix everything with a very soft hand.
- For plating put the rice in a rectangle ring and press it in a platter and take out the ring gently.
- Garnish the rice with coriander leaves, serve hot.