Mango Menskayi by Radhika Shaila Manikkara for #pkmangomagic recipe contest.
Mango menskayi is a traditional dish prepared out of semi ripe mangoes,it’s a sweet,hot and tangy dish ,which is considered a rare delicacy in brahmin wedding s in our area…..Mango is considered to be the king of fruits and when I was thinking of sending my entry to this competition…..This dish flashed into my mind…as it reflects our rich tradition.
Cooking time – 30 minutes
Mangoes 3 preferably totapuri, semi ripe
Byadgi chillies 14
Green chillies 4
Jaggery the size of a tennis ball
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Sesame seeds 1/2 tsp
Coriander seeds 1/2 tsp
Oil 3 tbsp
Curry leaves 1 sprig
Urad daal 11/2 tsp
Salt to taste
- Oil roast the byadgi chillies and grind them with grated coconut.
- When you are about to remove the masala from the grinder ,add oil , roasted peppercorns, sesame seeds , coriander seeds and urad daal together.(The masala should be fine coarse)
- Slice the mangoes horizontally and cook them with slit green chillies. Salt is added to the mangoes along with the masala.
- Add the powdered jaggery and bring to a boil.
- Water can be added if needed ..The consistency should be of a thick dough.
- Now temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- It tastes awesome with rice.Ask any person belonging to brahmin community regarding the taste and he will vouch for it
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!