Methia No Masalo is a very popular spice mix in Gujrat with dominant flavors of mustard and fenugreek seeds. You will find this in shelf of every Gujrati Kitchen not only coz its tasty because its so simple to make and is used to bring flavors to your pickles and farsan- Khandvi, dhokla, thepla or you can just use it as chutney and enjoy with curd rice or simply roll it in roti or paratha.
During summers, when grandma used to prepare this masala I remember it was packed in small glass jars and kept aside along with the jars that were prepared for us and we were told these are for our aunts who requested the recipe from Grandmom. And few days back same incident was repeated when I was chatting with Priya about some restaurants and food she simply asked do you guys make achaari masala ? I said yes we do and she requested for the recipe 🙂 So here this post is dedicated to Priya Iyer, blogger friend whose recipes are just awesome. If you are looking for some summer recipes do check her blog https://thephotowali.wordpress.com. I am sure you will love the twist in her Virgin Mojito recipe. Thank you so much Priya, I am reminded of my grandma and made this methia no masala for this season.
The only thing to keep in mind while preparing this masala is to use best ingredients and heating the oil until it reaches the smoking point and than cooling it to room temperature. The red chili used here is Kashmiri red chili which also gives perfect color to this masala.
The shelf life for methi no masala is one year, stored in air tight containers in dry place.This is most handy to make instant pickles of any vegetables or mango or just sprinkle it to ooze the flavors in your simple khichdi or rice.
Sharing here the recipe from my Grandmoms kitchen:)
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
Serves- 1 medium size bottle
1 cup – kashmiri red chili powder
1/2 cup – split fenugreek seeds (Meethi na kuria)
1 cup – split mustard seeds (Rai na kuria)
1/4 cup – crushed fennel seeds
1 tablespoon – turmeric powder
1/4 cup – rock salt
1 teaspoon – asafoetida
1 cup – mustard oil (sarson no tel)
How to go about it :-
- In a mixer separately grind fenugreek seeds , mustard seeds and fennel seeds and keep aside.
- In a deep sauce pan (kadai), heat oil on medium flame until it reaches the smoking point.
- Remove from gas and allow it to come to room temperature.
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the oil over the masala and mix.
- keep aside for 1-2 hours covering it with a cloth or plate.
- Once cool, mix well and store in air tight containers.
- Your Methia no masalo is ready to use.
- Always use good quality ingredients, I recommend using Kashmiri red chili powder as it gives bright color to your masala.
- Its important to heat the oil to smoking point and cool it to room temperature before adding it to masala. Do not hurry here:)
- Yo may skip fennel seeds, but i have used as it give nice flavor while we use this masala in pickles.
- For making instant pickle with this masala- for 3 medium size chopped mangoes, use 4 teaspoon of masala and 3 tablespoon of mustard oil.
If you like my recipes please leave your feedback the comments below, you can also follow and subscribe to my blog at Facebook , Instagram and check the subscribe button to receive latest recipes on the blog..
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!