Daliya is considered to be one of the simplest and healthy food often recommended to growing up kids or people recovering from illness. Savory porridge prepared with cracked wheat and vegetables is a healthy one pot meal breakfast, lunch or dinner.
You can use any vegetables of your choice. For me, when it comes to use vegetables especially in daliya or khichdi I try to add as many as I can, basically the one I don’t eat. So to add it to my diet this is the best way I am sure it will work for your kids too J
Here goes the simple recipe to make power packed daliya. I have used Patanjali multigrain daliya, which you can either make it at home mixing other grains and pulses or you can buy directly from the market.
Recipe Type – Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Servings – 2
- 1 cup – multigrain daliya
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely diced
- ¼ cup finely chopped capsicum
- ½ cup green peas
- 1 cup finely chopped green leafy vegetables (I have used spinach and moringa leaves)
- 1 medium size potato, chopped
- 1 medium size tomato, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1 teaspoon jeera or cumin
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¼ tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon ghee or oil (I have used ghee)
- 4 cups water
- Salt to taste
How to go about it –
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker and splutter cumin and mustard seeds.
- Add chopped onions and sauté till they become transparent. Add chopped green chilli and ginger, sauté for few seconds.
- Add turmeric powder.
- Add tomatoes and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add all the veggies (carrot, capsicum, potato, peas, and green leafy veggies) and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain and rinse daliya (I prefer to wash and soak for 20 minutes) and add to the veggies in pressure cooker. Stir for 2-3 minutes till it is mixed with vegetables.
- Add water and salt and pressure cook for 9-10 whistles till daliya is cooked well and you get porridge like consistency.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with homemade yogurt or sprinkle some lemon juice and enjoy. We recently had with nuts and guava papaya smoothie
- TO MAKE MULTIGRAIN DALIYA AT HOME – mix broken wheat, moong dal (split green), brown rice, millet, carom seeds and sesame seeds and dry roast it.
- Daliya can be prepared in pan, handi, kadai or pressure cooker. But it turns out soft in pressure cooker.
- Can add any vegetables of your choice and if you want to make without vegetables you can add groundnuts, dry fruits to it.
- Daliya is best when rinsed. I prefer to wash and soak daliya for 20 minutes before cooking.