What is your favorite snack on a movie date? For me it is crispy triangles aka Nachos with salsa dip or I love baked bean nachos loaded with fresh veggies and cheese.
Recently we went to watch Bhadhai Ho, and as usual I want to buy Nachos, but Mr N is on diet and I decided before his diet began that I will support him in every way and only Sunday dinner will be a cheat meal for both of us. So to keep my words I dint order, but at times craving make you forget things:); the other day while browsing for the baked nachos recipe I came across recipe on Sasmita’s blog First Timer Cook which I have bookmarked than. Now was the time to try my favorite nachos that too baked ones. The recipe link from her blog is here – Nachos
Nachos has its origin from Northern Mexico, It is very simple yet crispy and aromatic triangular tortilla chips made with combination of wholewheat and maize flour along with some herbs or spices. You can serve it with salsa dip or top it with cheese and jalapeños or some fresh veggies or baked beans. These nachos serve as great appetizer for any parties or get togethers.
I have made these for the Recipe Swap Challenge where I was paired with Sasmita who creates magic in her kitchen and share her recipes is her blog First Timer Cook.
So lets move on to the recipe of baked nachos chips;
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 25 minutes
Serve : 4
1 Cup – Maize flour (Makki ka aata)
1/2 cup – Wholewheat flour
1/4 Teaspoon – Carom seeds (Ajwain)
3/4 Teaspoon – Oregano
1/2 Teaspoon – Turmeric Powder
1/2 Teaspoon – Paprika (Red chilli powder)
4 Tablespoon – Oil
Water – as required
Salt – as per taste
How to go about it :-
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a non stick pan, add turmeric powder and saute for 30 seconds.
- Preheat oven to 170 degree celsius.
- In a small bowl, mix paprika powder in 3 tablespoon oil and keep it aside(used for brushing).
- In a mixing bowl, add maize flour, wholewheat flour, carom seeds, oregano, turmeric oil and salt. Mix well.
- Add some water and form a soft dough. (While making a dough add water little by little).
- Divide the dough into lemon size balls.
- On a flat surface, use a silicon mat or clinge wrap, keep the dough ball and flatten it with rolling pin like a chapati.
- Prick it evenly with the help of fork or toothpick, to avoid the fluffing while baking.
- Cut it into desired shape or triangles with help of cookie cutter or knife.
- Repeat the above step for rest of the dough.
- Brush the paprika oil mixture(prepared in step 3) on both the sides of chips.
- Arrange the chips in the single layer in a baking tray.
- Bake it for 10-12 minutes or until crisp. (watch that the chips should not turn brown).
- Your baked nachos chips are ready to serve.
- Serve them with any dip, salsa or make your own baked bean nachos with loads of cheese and jalapeños.
- While making a dough add water little by little.
- Keep a watch while baking chips should not turn too brown.
- Oven temperature may vary so check according to your oven temperature.
If you happen to try this crispy nachos chips please share your feedback in comments below or you can tag me on Instagram @ Paarulz Kitchen or on my Facebook page. Don’t forget to subscribe my page for new recipes.
Happy Baking !