Pickles and traditional cuisines always remind me of my grand mom. She was no doubt the most amazing cook and a wonderful person. This khata meetha aam ka achaar is the most awaited thing in mango seasons we all kids look forward to in the mango season. Sharing here one of my favorite recipe from my grand mom’s kitchen. This is instant pickle recipe and no oil is used here. Try this out and do share your feedback.
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 minutes
Serve – 2 small bottles.
2-3 medium sized raw mangoes, washed, peeled and cut into cubes.
½ teaspoon- fenugreek seeds / methi seeds
1 teaspoon – nigella seeds / kalonji
1 tablespoon – red chili powder
1 ½ cup – powdered jaggery
Salt as required
How to go about it –
- Wash and peel the mangoes, cut into cubes and keep aside.
- In a bowl, take chopped mangoes and add all ingredients and mix well.
- Check the amount of jaggery, salt and chili, if required adjust the taste.
- In a pan, add the mango and jaggery mix to it and cook for some minutes till jaggery melts and thickens a bit.
- Cover the cooked pickle with muslin cloth and allow it to cool.
- Transfer this pickle to clean glass bottle and store it in refrigerator.
- You can substitute jaggery with sugar.
- Adjust salt and chili powder according to taste.
- If you are not cooking, you can keep this pickle in sunlight for 4-5 days till mango becomes tender and jaggery melts a bit.
- Store this pickle in refrigerator.