Amazingly, this is the first time I’ve made peanut brittle myself, and I vowed to not let another fasting season pass without making it. Now I’m addicted and after knowing how quick and easy it is to make, this will definitely show up throughout the year. This is a perfect and easy snack for satisfying your sweet cravings without guilt Try out this recipe and do share your comments.
Preparation Time – 10 mins
Cooking Time – 20 mins
- 1 cup peanuts (groundnuts)
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter (ghee)
- ¾ cup jaggery
- 1 teaspoon ghee (to grease)
How to go about it –
- In a heavy bottom pan roast peanuts on medium flame for approximately 5-6 minutes. Keep stirring to prevent it from burning.
- Allow the peanuts to cool. Remove the skin and break them into halves.
- Grease the counter or flat plate with 1 teaspoon of ghee.
- In a pan heat ghee on low flame. Add jaggery and stir continuously on medium flame.
- When jaggery dissolve cook for 4-5 minutes on low flame.
- Check the consistency by adding drop of jaggery in bowl of water. If jaggery drop turns into solid drop and sits at the bottom than it is cooked otherwise cook for some more time.
- Turn off the heat and mix the peanuts and stir until peanuts are coated with jaggery.
- Pour the mixture over the greased plate or counter.
- Roll the mixture flat using rolling pin. Make the cuts with knife while spread is still warm.
- When cooled break into pieces and store in air tight containers.
- Ensure that you caramelize/ cook the jaggery on low flame.
- Constantly keep stirring the jaggery while it cooks and do not leave it unattended at any point.
- Do not heat the jaggery for long time otherwise it will turn hard.
- Spread and roll the mixture on greased plate when it is hot otherwise it is difficult to roll.
- Color of the chikki depends on which type of jaggery is used ,if golden brown jaggery is used the chikki will turn dark brown and if light yellow color jaggery is used it turn out golden yellow.
Do try out this yummy and crispy energy bar and share your comments