Its already summers here in Bangalore and its not a single day that I have not made any chilled beverage or dessert to beat the heat. May it be aam panna, mango milkshake, masala chaas or lassi its regular at home. Fasting season is around the corner so thought of sharing one of our family’s favorite beverage PIYUSH. It is a rich, creamy aromatic beverage prepared by mixing shrikhand & buttermilk which is further spiced with cardamom and nutmeg and garnished with nuts and saffron. It is most delicious beverage served in many Gujarati and Maharashtrian family’s during summer or fasting days.
Piyush, a gujarati summer coolant is very much similar to Punjabi lassi but is more thicker, creamy and sweet as we add shrikhand to it. It serves great during fast as it is filling and keep your hunger at bay. This drink is one of my family’s favorite during summers and is a must in menu during family get togethers and parties. Easy to prepare and the best part of this recipe is you can prepare it in advance and serve chilled as and when required.
To prepare this recipe I have used homemade kesar elaichi shrikhand, you can also use store brought shrikhand, preferably kesar shrikhand or if you are using plain elaichi shrikhand at generous amount of saffron while combining it with buttermilk. That gives the flavor and yellow color to Piyush. Addition of nutmeg and cardamom imparts beautiful aroma and flavor to the beverage.
Here you go with the recipe and do try making it this navratri and let me know how it turned out for you.
Preparation Time – 10 Minutes
Serve- 4-5 glasses
2 Cups – Shrikhand (Kesar or Elaichi)
3 Cups – Thick Buttermilk
1/2 Cup – Milk
10-12No. – Saffron strands soaked in milk
1/2 Teaspoon – Nutmeg Powder
1/4 Teaspoon – Cardamom Powder
Powdered Sugar if required
2 tablespoon – Pistachio or Almonds Silvers
Few strands of Saffron
How to go about it :
- In a mixing bowl, combine together, shrikhand, buttermilk and milk. Whisk together with electric blender so that no lumps are found. You can also use a hand whisk.
- Add saffron milk, nutmeg powder and cardamom powder, sugar (if required). Mix well to combine all the ingredients uniformly.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Pour the chilled Piyush in the serving glasses.
- Garnish with almonds or pistachio silver and few saffron strands and serve chilled.
- You can use store brought shrikhand ,preferably Kesar shrikhand.
- In case you want to prepare this drink instantly use chilled shrikhand, buttermilk and milk.
Are you making this recipe? I Love to see your creations so take a photo and tag Paarulzkitchen on Instagram with a hashtag #Paarulzkitchen. For more recipes you can follow me on Pinterest Facebook and Twitter .If you like the recipe please give * rating below.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!