If you are fond of middle eastern cuisine, you must be aware of this baked cheesy dessert called Kunafa, it made of shredded phyllo pastry called as Kadayif locally. And drizzled with fragrant sugar syrup. It is heavenly.You eat it once and I promise you will fall in love with it.
This dessert is just prefect for any occasion, be it a festival or your special day.
1 cup shredded kadayif dough
(shredded phyllo pastry used to make kunafa or baklava)
1/2 cup Ghee/ butter( melted)
2 drops of food colour ( optional)
Extra butter to brush the pie dish
Chocolate cream filing
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
10 Kisses chocolate (melted)
1 tsp coffee
100 ml cooking cream
4 tbsp butter
2 tsp superfine sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup chopped cherries
4 tbsp almond flakes.
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C.
- Put shredded in food processor along with ghee and colour and pulses it couple of time until kadayif is completely coated with ghee and colour.
- Grease the pie mould with ghee and spread shreded kadayif and with help of back of spoon gently press it so it takes the shape of pie mould. Keep in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
- Place the pie tray in preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes or until it is crisp and golden in colour.
- When the kadayif pie shell is cooked remove from oven and place it on wire rack to cool.
To make chocolate cream filling:
- Mix together Sugar, melted chocolate , coffee, vanilla essence and cooking cream and pour it in a bowl and keep it aside. Heat a saucepan put butter add Apf and cook over medium heat stirring continuously for 3-4 minutes. Add the cream mix to the saucepan and whisk well so no lumps are formed.
- Gradually it will thicken, keep stirring for 5 minutes. Transfer the chocolate cream in a small bowl and cover it with cling film so no skin is formed on top. Let it cool completely.
- When cool whisk it with hand blender to make it fluffy.
- kadayif pie tarts are completely cool, place chopped cherries and chopped nuts on the base and top it with chocolate cream filing. Garnish with more cherries and almond flakes.
You can use any other berries or fruit of your choice in this dessert.