Having lost my dad 2 and a half years back, I am sharing a recipe that can truly be called His Favorite.
It’s a Kheerni that he would make for my Grandmum’s Shradh prayers every year.
Every time we make it, it reminds me of the times and people gone by.
Here it goes…
Preparation time – 10 minutes.
Cooking time- 25 to 30 minutes
500 ml full fat milk
3 tablespoon Amul fresh cream
100 gm condensed milk
2 elaichi pods
2 tablespoon sugar
Half cup almonds and pistas
- Soak the almonds in boiled water for 5 minutes. Remove and put in cold water.
This will make it easier to remove the skin.
- Chop the almonds and pistachios in long slivers.
- Take a heavy bottom pan on slow flame.
- Add the milk, fresh cream and elaichi pods.
- Let it simmer on low flame till it reduces to half quantity.
- Keep on stirring every 2 minutes so that it does not stick to the sides, bottom and burn.
- Add the condensed milk, and sugar and cook for 5-7 minutes more.
- Lastly add the almonds and pistachios. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Shut off the flame and let it stand for about 10 minutes with a lid on.
- Garnish with saffron strands.
- Remove the elaichi pods before serving it.
- Serve hot or chilled.
- The solidified milk that accumulates due to the fat in the milk is what makes it all the more delicious.
Serve hot or even chilled, it tastes delish in any way.