Instant Ragi paniyaram is a super easy and healthy recipe for morning breakfast or mid evening snack. And I would say other than ragi dosa, ragi idli this is another way to include ragi in your meals.
These paniyarams are crisp from outside and soft from inside.They are made in a special pan with cavities called appe pan or paniyaram chitti. Different regions have different version and names of this recipe, some make it sweet by adding jaggery and others choose to add veggies and spices to make as savory.
I have prepared these by using roasted rava (semolina), roasted ragi flour(store brought) and some curd. For tempering have used some grated carrots and finely chopped onions, along with some urad and channa dal and mustard seeds. You can add veggies as per your choice or according to taste preference. Note – I have not used baking soda in this recipe.
These instant ragi paniyarams can also be made with left over dosa or idli batter. Since I do not have dosa batter and wanted to make these so used rava which added crispness to these paniyarams.These paniyarams taste great when served hot with tomato chutney or coconut peanut chutney and makes a perfect filling healthy breakfast.
Lets move on to the recipe to make these paniyarams;
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 minutes
Serve – 2 (14 paniyaram approx)
For Batter- 1 Cup – Roasted Rava (Semolina)
1/2 Cup – Roasted Ragi Flour (Finger Millet)
1/2 Cup – Thick Curd or 1 Cup – Buttermilk
1 No. Small – Onion, Finely Chopped
1/4 Cup – Carrot, Grated
1/2 Teaspoon – Mustard Seeds
1 Teaspoon – Channa Dal
1 Teaspoon – Ural Dal
1 – Green Chilli, Finely Chopped
1 Teaspoon – Oil
Salt to taste
How to go about it –
- In a large mixing bowl, add semolina and ragi flour, add curd and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan, temper mustard seeds, channa dal, urad dal and green chili and sauté for a minute.
- Now add onions and carrots and sauté for another 2-3 minutes. Add salt and mix well.
- In the flour mix, add sautéed vegetable and mix so everything is incorporated well.
- You can add water to adjust the consistency of batter.
- Heat appe pan or paniyaram chiiti and brush it with oil.
- Pour the batter in each cavity and cover the pan. Cook on low heat until they turn golden brown.
- Flip it using a sharp knife or back of the spoon and cook from the other side as well.
- Serve hot with tomato chutney or coconut peanut chutney.
- Add the vegetable of your choice.
- You can also add grated ginger to the batter.
- This recipe can be made using dosa batter, instead of roasted rave add dosa batter in same quantity.
Are you making this recipe? I Love to see your creations so take a photo and tag Paarulzkitchen on Instagram with a hashtag #Paarulzkitchen. For more recipes you can follow me on Pinterest Facebook and Twitter .If you like the recipe please give * rating below.
Happy Cooking !
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!