How about making a regular rava upma with a twist? Something more healthy and tasty. I love to experiment in my kitchen. As usual Saturday is a upma day and I was tired of making regular vegetable upma wanted to try out something different. So what to do??? Had some beetroots and sprouts in my fridge. First thing that popped up was like will everybody like this? I just gave a try thinking if it’s a flop will quickly make sandwich but believe me the taste was phenomenal and now for few days regular veggie upma is replaced with beetroot an sprout upma .Try this out and let me know how it turned out for you .
Preparation Time – 5 mins
Cooking Time – 15 mins
Serves – 2
1 cup – rava / semolina / sooji
1 onion, finely chopped
1 small beetroot grated (or make puree 1 cup)
2 tablespoon, green moong, sprouted
1 green chilli, slit
1 spring – curry leaf
½ tablespoon – grated ginger
1 tablespoon – coriander leaves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 tablespoon – bengal gram
1 teaspoon – urad dal
2 tablespoon – oil
1 ½ cups – water
Salt to taste
How to go about it –
- In a heavy bottom dry roast the rava on a medium flame till it start to become golden brown. Keep stirring as rava may burn if left unattended.
- Transfer the rava in a separate bowl once it is done.
- In a non stick pan heat oil , add mustard seeds and once it spluttered add green chilies, curry leaves, ginger, urad dal and bengal gram. Sauté gently.
- Now add onions and sauté until onion turns little pink and are cooked.
- Add green moong sprouts and mix. At this point, add salt.
- Add water and mix well with onions, sprouts and other masalas. Keep stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Add rava to the water and stir continuously. Now add grated beetroot or puree and allow it cook until rava absorbs all the water.
- Mix well and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Put off the flame and cover the lid for 2-3 minutes.
- Upma is ready to serve.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and sprinkle lemon juice.
- Serve hot with chutney or you can have it plain.
- Keep stirring while adding rava to the water so as to avoid lumps.
- You can add fried groundnuts on the top while serving.
- You can add green peas or nuts instead of sprouts while serving.