Besan Ladoo is an Indian Sweet which is prepared using roasted gram flour & is often enjoyed during festivals and weddings in India. I remember the days when my Grandma used to say; one day you will love the sweets and will make them for yourself so better sit and watch what I do !! As a kid I never had a sweet tooth but my love for sweets developed immensely when I grew up and I often recall her words. My grand mom was an amazing cook and making sweets was something she loved the most. She loves to feed people, when we have guests visiting she would prepare whatever she has planned but make sure there is something that’s our guests favorite. Its surprising the way she remembered the likes and choices of our relatives, friends and family.
So what she said was right ! My craving for besan ladoo from long time tempted me to make them for myself and my husband who enjoy Indian sweets once in a while.
Besan Ladoo or gram flour ladoo do not ask for much ingredients. Gram flour(besan), Ghee and sugar are the main ingredients. Also you can add pistachios, cardamom powder and saffron for that added flavor.
Now before moving to the recipe here are few things to be remember-
- Now before moving to the recipe here are few things to be remember-
- While making besan ladoo, it is necessary to ensure that the gram flour(besan) is roasted thoroughly. Hence, roast it on low flame, while tossing the gram flour (chickpea flour) continuously. Don’t be in a hurry while doing this step, if you don’t roast the besan properly ladoo will taste raw.
- Roast Test – You can check this by the aroma and change in color to golden.
- Always keep the flame low to avoid burning- the color of besan will turn brown and ladoo will still be raw in taste.
- Do not add the sugar immediately or else the besan mixture will loosen and it will be difficult to make balls(ladoo). Allow the roasted besan to cool for about 10 minutes and than add sugar.
- Thats all to keep in mind while preparing these delicious besan ladoo and I bet they will turn out just perfect. Lets begin –
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time -45 minutes
Serve – 20-22 Ladoo
2 Cups – Besan (Gram/Chickpea Flour)
1/2 Cup – Ghee (Clarified Butter)
1 Cup – Powdered Sugar
1 Teaspoon – Elaichi (Cardamom) Powder
1 Tablespoon – Chopped pistachios (Optional)
How to go about it :
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat the ghee and let it melt on low flame.
- Once the ghee is melted, add besan and roast it on low flame stirring continuously for about 15-20 minutes or until its turn golden in color and your house will be filled with roasted aroma of gram flour.
- Remove it from the heat, and allow it to cool for about 10-15 minutes.
- While the mixture is lukewarm, add powdered sugar and cardamom powder. Mix well rubbing the mixture in between your palms.
- Now take a small portion of the mixture and shape it round balls to make ladoo.
- Repeat the same step for rest of the mixture.
- Once ready, garnish with chopped pistachios and serve.
- Always keep the low flame while roasting the besan and roast it properly, else it will taste raw.
- Add sugar once the mixture is lukewarm.
- You can store ladoo in the airtight container for 15 days.
We’d love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #paarulzkitchen.For more recipes you can follow me on Facebook , Instagram and Pinterest.