The perfect addition to your christmas table. These eggless gingerbread cookies are soft and chewy with zesty flavor of ginger and spices. These cookies were in my to do list for quite sometime and I was waiting for the perfect time to prepare these Christmas classic ! Its a pretty simple recipe, just to cream the sugar and butter and combine with rest of the ingredients. Chill in refrigerator and bake. Voila ! Your perfect Christmas cookies are ready to serve and bonus — a batch of gingerbread baking in the oven is guaranteed to make your home smell amazing.
They make great gifts ! they last for a while and they’re sturdy, these make great treats to share with your friends and family.
Lets make a batch !
Preparation Time – 20 Minutes
Cooking Time – 12 Minutes
Servings – 20-25 cookies (small size)/ 5-6 cookies (large size)
1 Cup – Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 Cup – Soft Butter
1/4 Cup – Brown Sugar
4 Tablespoon – Honey
1/2 Teaspoon – Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon – Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon – Dry Ginger Powder
1 Teaspoon – Cinnamon Powder
1/4 Teaspoon – Nutmeg Powder
1/4 Teaspoon – Cloves Powder
1 teaspoon – Vanilla Extract
Pinch of Salt
Simple Icing Recipe –
4 Table Spoon -Icing Sugar
2 Teaspoon – Water
Food Color – 1-2 drops (color as per your choice)
For Royal Icing Recipe – Click here : Royal Icing Recipe
How to go about it :-
For Gingerbread Cookies :
- In a mixing bowl, combine together butter, brown sugar and honey with electric mixer or whisk for about 1-2 minutes
- Add baking powder, baking soda, spice mix (dry ginger powder, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder and clove powder),pinch of salt and vanilla extract. Mix well until combined.
- Gradually add the flour on the low speed until combined.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions. Wrap it in the cling wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
- Once the dough is thoroughly chilled, unwrap the dough and place it on a large lightly floured surface. Use the rolling pin to roll the dough into 1/8 inch thickness.
- Use your favorite cookie cutter to give the desired shape. Transfer the cookies to the baking tray.
- Bake the cookies in a pre heated oven at 180 degree celsius for about 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are crisp on the edges and on the top.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes than transfer to the wire rack for further cooling.
- Once the cookies are at room temperate, decorate them with icing sugar or some candies and sprinkles as per your liking.
- Serve immediately or store in the air tight container.
To Make Simple Icing :
- Whisk all the ingredients together in the bowl until smooth. If your icing consistency is too thin add more sugar or if it is thick add some water.
- Use a piping bag or DIY bag using ziplock to pipe the icing onto the cookies. Decorate as per your choice.
- Have made these cookies with giant cookie cutter, you can always use smaller ones.
- You can replace wholewheat flour with all purpose flour.
- I have used 24 mantra organic whole wheat flour for baking these cookies.