Kaju Katli is one of the most loved dessert especially during festive season. It is an India fudge is prepared using cashew powder and sugar as the main ingredient. This recipe is vegan and gluten free just skip the silver leaf decoration.
As I prepared this kaju Katli for Diwali I have used silver leaf or German paper but you can skip it and decorate it with pistachios and saffron strands.
To make this at home keep few things in mind i.e. the sugar syrup consistency, cashew powder texture and dough preparation and the result will be perfect and most delicious slices of kaju Katli. So, lets check out the recipe to make this buttery, melt in mouth sweet with these simple steps.
Preparation Time – 5 Minutes
Cooking Time – 20 Minutes
Serve – 18-19 pieces
1 1/2 Cup – Cashew Nuts
3/4 Cup – Sugar
1/3 Cup – Water
1 Teaspoon – Kewra essence ,optional
1-2 Teaspoon – Ghee (For Greasing)
1-2 Sheets – Edible Silver Leaf (For Decoration)
How to go about it :-
- Add cashew nut in the grinder and pulse few times to make a powder. (Do not over grind the cashews as they will leave oily).
- Sieve the powder to get rid of any big particles left. Blend these particle again.
- Now the cashew powder is ready.
- In a non stick pan, heat sugar and water on medium heat till it dissolve completely.
- Cook the sugar syrup for 40-50 seconds.(Just need the thin syrup).
- At this stage, reduce the heat to medium-low and add cashew powder and stir well.
- The mixture should be smooth without any lumps.Keep stirring.
- Add Kewra essence and mix well.Cook on medium heat until slightly thick and it begin to leave the sides of the pan.
- Grease the plate with ghee and transfer the dough to it.
- When you are able to handle the heat in the mixture, smear few drops of ghee to your hands and knead it for few minutes to form a smooth dough.
- Spread the parchment paper on the work surface and roll the dough with rolling pin.
- You can adjust the thickness according to your choice.I prefer thin slices.
- Decorate it with the edible silver leaf or german paper.
- Using the sharp knife cut it into diamond shape.
- Your kaju Katli is ready to serve. Store it in the air tight container in refrigerator.
- Do not over blend the cashew nuts as they release oil.
- Do not over cook the cashew mixture as it will result in dry texture of the barfi.
- To check the dough consistency, take small amount of mixture and you should be able to form a ball.This is the correct consistency.
- You can add kesar, dry roast it in the pan and grind it to a powder to add in the cashew dough.
- Using edible silver leaf is optional. You can decorate kaju katli with pistachios, saffron strands or rose petals.
This recipe is made with everyday ingredients, nothing fancy is used here, so without a doubt this is the perfect treat ever !! Do try this out and if you make this recipe share the picture with us using hashtag #Paarulzkitchen and please leave your comments below. I really love to hear from you guys!!
Happy cooking !
You can also check – Dates & Figs Energy Bars