Kesar peda is a classic Indian sweet made for festive occasions. They are delicious and made with very few ingredients like khoya, sugar, cardamom and saffron.
For this year Janmashtami prasad I have prepared these Kesar peda and sharing with you all this easy recipe that can be prepared in under 30 minutes. It tastes divine and elegant. I have prepared these peda using store brought mawa (khoya) but you can also prepare mawa at home using traditional recipe which I will share in the notes section. Keep in mind that you buy the mawa of good quality from a reputed store in your town or you can also use unsweetened milky mist mawa.
Kesar is one of my favorite ingredient in sweets as its presence can elevate the look and flavor of any simple sweet or dessert. What do you say?
You can also check some more recipes where I have used my favorite ingredient – Kesar Kalakand, Kesar Elaichi Shrikhand, Piyush and another very delicious Dharwad Peda recipe.
Wishing you all a very joyous festive season!!
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes
Serve – 15-16 pedas
250 Grams or 1 Cup – Unsweetend Mawa/ Khoya
1/4 Cup – Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon – Saffron Strands (kesar)
2 Tablespoon – Lukewarm Milk
1/4 Teaspoon – Cardamom (elaichi) Powder
1 Teaspoon – Ghee (optional)
1 Tablespoon – Pistachios, sliced
How to go about it :
- To begin preparing peda, soak saffron strands to the lukewarm milk and keep it aside.
- In a heavy bottom pan, add crumbled khoya and sugar. Cook on a low flame for 5-6 minutes stirring continuously until the sugar is dissolved completely. Keep an eye so that mawa/khoya is not burnt.
- Once the mixture is thickened, add saffron milk and cardamom powder.Mix well and cook on low flame for 1-2 minutes stirring continuously.
- At this stage remove it from the flame and allow it to cool.
- Once the mixture is cooled, knead it gently to get the smooth dough. You can add ghee to your palms to avoid sticking.
- Divide the mixture into equal sized balls and shape each portion into a round flat disc or you can use peda moulds too.
- Garnish with sliced pistachios and saffron threads.
- Kesar peda is ready to serve. Also you can store them in the air tight container in refrigerator for a week.
- How to make mawa /khoya at home –
- In a heavy bottom pan, add 1 liter milk and bring it to boil. Once the milk starts boiling scrape the sides and stir continously.Now reduce the flame and keep stirring continuously until the milk thickens. Almost after an hour it will turn into semi solid or halwa texture. Remove from the flame and let it cool. Store in refrigerator and use to make sweets etc within 4-5 days.1 litre milk will give approx 200 gram khoya/mawa.
- With the same recipe you can make burfi by transferring the mixture to a greased tray and than cutting it into squares.
- If using frozen khoya/mawa thaw it completely so that you can easily crumble it.
Are you making this recipe? I Love to see your creations so snap a photo and tag Paarulzkitchen on Facebook with a hashtag #Paarulzkitchen. For more recipes you can follow me on Facebook , Instagram and Pinterest. If you like the recipe please give * rating below.