Palak Paneer is one of the popular Indian cuisines. Soft paneer cubes are simmered in smooth, vibrant green spinach gravy. I love the rich creamy texture of the curry and to get the perfect texture and color follow the steps as in the recipe.
Vegans can add tofu in this recipe I have made palak tofu many times and even tofu goes well with this palak curry. In the same recipe, I add sweet corn instead of paneer / tofu to make corn palak and it believe me it tastes really yummy 🙂
Palak paneer goes well with roti, naan, jeera rice and biryani.
If you are one of them who think palak dishes are bland and tasteless than I bet you haven’t tried this recipe. Do try out I am sure you will love it.
Preparation Time – 15 mins
Cooking Time – 25 mins
Serves – 4 servings
For Palak Puree-
- 1 bunch palak
- 1 green chilli
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
For Palak Gravy –
- 2 teaspoon ghee or butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 finely chopped tomato
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 finely chopped garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 8- 10 paneer cubes
- Salt to taste
To garnish –
- 2 teaspoon of cream
- Lemon juice
How to go about it –
To make palak puree –
- Clean the palak separating it from the stems and wash the leaves thoroughly.
- Boil water in a pan and add palak leaves.
- Once the palak changes its color immediately remove it and add it to the ice cold water.
- Make palak puree adding green chilli , ginger and garlic and kee it aside.
To make palak gravy –
- Heat ghee or butter in a pan and add cumin seeds and bay leaf.
- Add finely chopped onion and garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Now add finely chopped tomatoes give it a mix.
- Add palak puree and stir well.
- Add water accordingly to get the desired consistency. (Here I used 1 cup water )
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and season with salt.
- Simmer the flame and let palak cook for 5 minutes. Gravy will thicken by now. Mix well.
- Add garam masala and stir well.
- Add paneer cubes or tofu if you are vegan.
- Stir gently and on simmer flame let it cook for 2-3 minutes till the paneer/ tofu cubes become soft and succulent.
- Lastly add cream and mix gently so that the cream gets incorporated uniformly in the gravy. Switch of the flame.
- Drizzle few drops of lemon juice and garnish with a dash of cream and serve with naan, roti or flavoured rice.
- Keep ice cold water ready to immediately transfer blanched palak from hot water.
- I have added paneer cubes as such but if you want you can shallow fry in a very little oil till golden brown.