Palak Paneer is one of the popular Indian cuisines. Soft paneer cubes are simmered in smooth, vibrant green spinach gravy. I love the rich creamy texture of the curry and to get the perfect texture and color follow the steps as in the recipe.
Vegans can add tofu in this recipe I have made palak tofu many times and even tofu goes well with this palak curry. In the same recipe, I add sweet corn instead of paneer / tofu to make corn palak and it believe me it tastes really yummy
Palak paneer goes well with roti, naan, jeera rice and biryani.
If you are one of them who think palak dishes are bland and tasteless than I bet you haven’t tried this recipe. Do try out I am sure you will love it.
Preparation Time – 15 mins
Cooking Time – 25 mins
Serves – 4 servings
For Palak Puree-
- 1 bunch palak
- 1 green chilli
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
For Palak Gravy –
- 2 teaspoon ghee or butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 finely chopped tomato
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 finely chopped garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 8- 10 paneer cubes
- Salt to taste
To garnish –
- 2 teaspoon of cream
- Lemon juice
How to go about it –
To make palak puree –
- Clean the palak separating it from the stems and wash the leaves thoroughly.
- Boil water in a pan and add palak leaves.
- Once the palak changes its color immediately remove it and add it to the ice cold water.
- Make palak puree adding green chilli , ginger and garlic and kee it aside.
To make palak gravy –
- Heat ghee or butter in a pan and add cumin seeds and bay leaf.
- Add finely chopped onion and garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Now add finely chopped tomatoes give it a mix.
- Add palak puree and stir well.
- Add water accordingly to get the desired consistency. (Here I used 1 cup water )
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and season with salt.
- Simmer the flame and let palak cook for 5 minutes. Gravy will thicken by now. Mix well.
- Add garam masala and stir well.
- Add paneer cubes or tofu if you are vegan.
- Stir gently and on simmer flame let it cook for 2-3 minutes till the paneer/ tofu cubes become soft and succulent.
- Lastly add cream and mix gently so that the cream gets incorporated uniformly in the gravy. Switch of the flame.
- Drizzle few drops of lemon juice and garnish with a dash of cream and serve with naan, roti or flavoured rice.
- Keep ice cold water ready to immediately transfer blanched palak from hot water.
- I have added paneer cubes as such but if you want you can shallow fry in a very little oil till golden brown.