Chutney is one of the important accompaniment in Indian food. There are many versions of tomato chutney but today I am sharing quick and easy no onion, no garlic South Indian style tomato chutney that goes well idli, dosa , parathas actually with anything and everything.
Best part of it is you can make it in big batches, store it in a fridge and use it throughout the week. I hope you will try this versatile chutney and share your feedback.
Recipe credits goes to my masi, she was so kind to make this delicious chutney n number of times for all of us during her recent stay with us. Love and Hugs to you Masi 🙂
Lets see how to make no onion, no garlic (South Indian style) tomato chutney also known as Thakkali Chutney in Tamil.
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
Serve – 3
4 big size – ripe tomatoes
1 tablespoon – urad dal (split black gram)
1.5 teaspoon – channa dal (bengal gram)
4-5 – dry red chili
Few curry leaves
Pinch of asafoetida
lemon sized – tamarind
2 teaspoon – cooking oil
Salt as required
For tempering –
1 teaspoon – cooking oil
1.5 teaspoon – mustard seeds
Few curry leaves
How to go about it –
- Wash and cut the tomatoes into small pieces, keep aside OR Wash and slit the tomatoes and cook in microwave for 4-5 minutes.If you are using microwave method, peel the tomatoes and blend it .
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil, add mustard seeds , when it splutters add urad dal, channa dal, dry red chilies ,curry leaves, asafoetida , Saute for few minutes till the lentils turn golden brown.
- Once the dal turns golden brown, add tamarind and sauce till the raw smell of tamarind goes.
- Add chopped tomatoes OR the tomato puree and little salt. Cook until the raw smell goes and oil separates.
- Switch off the flame and allow it too cool. Transfer it to mixer and grid it to smooth paste.Add water if required.
- Finally temper it with mustard seeds and curry leaves. Your tomato chutney is ready to serve.
- Serve it with idli, dosa, vada , pakodas and parathas or rice.
- You can add a teaspoon of jaggery powder while grinding.
- As this chutney is without onion and garlic tempering is a must to enhance the flavors.
- Cook the chutney till oil separates because this is what keep increases the shelf life of chutney.Use sufficient oil.
If you find this post useful please share with your friends on social media, tag me @paarulzkitchen and share your feedback. This will keep me motivated !