Tomato rice is a one pot meal which I always love to cook when I feel lazy to enter the kitchen. Try this out and surely you will love it .Do share your feedback
- 1 cup rice
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onions
- 11/2 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chili, chopped
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ inch cinnamon
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 -3 cloves
- 8-10 curry leaves
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ tablespoon chopped mint leaves
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
How to go about it –
Pre preparation –
- Rinse 1 cup regular rice or basmati rice for a couple of times in water.
- Then soak the rice in water for 30 minutes, later drain the rice and keep aside.
- Chop the tomatoes, onions and green chilies finely.
- Peel and crush the ginger-garlic in a mortar pestle. Also chop the mint and coriander leaves.
For Tomato Rice –
- In a pressure cooker, heat 2 tablespoon oil. Keep the flame to a low and add mustard seeds and crackle them.
- Then add finely chopped onion and cinnamon, green cardamoms and cloves. Stir and sauté till the onions turn translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste, chopped green chili and curry leaves. Stir and sauté till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
- Now add chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- Add the finely chopped tomatoes and turmeric powder, red chili powder, crushed black pepper, coriander powder and cumin powder. Stir very well and sauté the tomatoes.
- Tomatoes should soften and become pulpy and see that they release oil.
- Add the soaked rice. Stir the rice with the tomato mixture very well and sauté for a minute.
- Add 2 cups water. (or as required to cook rice properly)
- Add salt as per taste.
- Cover and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles on medium flame.
- When cools then remove the lid and gently fluff the rice.
- Serve it with mint chutney, raita or appalam
- For a lesser spiced version add 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste, ¼ teaspoon red chili powder and ¼ teaspoon crushed black pepper.
- Use any variety of rice or even cooked rice.